The Cheviot

19 February 2024

As the previous incident was drawing to a close, Mountain Rescue were activated for a second time. A group of four young men, who were part of larger walking party, were unable to proceed when one of their party sustained a leg injury and was unable to weight bear. Soon after the activation through our SARCALL system, our duty controller was able to confirm that the group was near to the stile on the eastern edge of The Cheviot’s summit plateau.

With night falling the group were advised to seek some shelter, keep as warm as possible and hold their position until a Mountain Rescue hasty team arrived. Two local members were immediately deployed to the Harthope valley to proceed on foot from Langleeford Hope up onto The Cheviot, the highest hill in Northumberland. Response vehicles and further volunteers were also directed to the valley – quite a considerable drive from the previous incident’s location.

Given the travel time from Kielder and the information available all pointing towards a protracted stretcher evacuation from the summit plateau, the Border Search and Rescue Unit were also requested.

At shortly before 19.00hrs, the hasty team located the four walkers at approximately 750 metres on the steep climb just before the summit plateau. The walkers had become so cold they tried again to self rescue and were slowly making their way down the hill. After providing some additional clothing and confirming the injured party was able to continue without aggregating their injury further, everyone started to make their way off the hill. Another Mountain Rescue hill party continued to proceed towards the group with additional torches, warm layers and heat pads.

By 19.45hrs everyone was safely off the hill and the group of walkers were transported further down the valley to be checked over by the Ambulance crew on scene before being discharged. The group had done exactly the right thing by dialling 999 asking for the Police and requesting Mountain Rescue when it became clear they were in difficulty. All were very relieved and in good spirits by the time they got down, and acknowledged they had learnt a lot from their ordeal.

We would like to thank the Border Search & Rescue Unit and Lilburn Estates for their willingness to assist with this incident.

The incident involved 31 Team members for 4 hours 40 minutes.